Objectives developed by the Steering Committee
- Compile studies, methods, and guidelines relevant to understanding release of added engineered nanomaterials from food matrices.
- Identify the critical measurement methodologies for understanding risk-relevant exposures to engineered nanomaterials in foods.
- Identify gaps where additional methods development is needed.
- Design and carryout methods-development plans to fill gaps so that generally accepted and useful methods are available.
- Ruggedize the methods so that they can be confidently used across laboratories.
- Where warranted and feasible, submit methods to a standards development organization.
NanoRelease Consumer Products was active between February 2012 and late 2014. Members during this period are listed here. Minutes of each meeting and conference call are reviewed and approved by the Steering and posted here.
The intention of the project was to proceed in 3 phases similar to NanoRelease Consumer Products. However, funding was only available to proceed through Phase 2 and initial steps of Phase 3 (establishment and first meetings of the Inter-laboratory Testing Group).
- Phase 1: Nanomaterial Selection—list of priority nanomaterials and initial study material
- Phase 2: Methods Evaluation—set of methods and state-of-science document (all final publications listed below)
- Phase 3: Inter-laboratory Studies—methods refinement for documentary standards development
Meetings of the Inter-laboratory Testing Group and workshops are also available.
- Szakal et al 2014a State of the Science perspective on ENM in food measurement needs and methods https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/nn501108g
- Yada et al 2014 Current Understand of Uptake of ENMs in the Gastrointestinal Track http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12076
- Szakal et al 2014b Oral Nanomaterial Uptake Measurement Summary and Outlook https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12080
- Noonan et al 2014 Measuring ENMs from Food Contact Materials https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12079
- Singh et al 2014 Measuring ENMs in Foods https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12078
- Alger et al 2014 Evaluating Uptake of ENMs in the Alimentary Track https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12077
- Lefebvre et al 2014 Evaluation of models of the GI tract applied to measuring nanomaterials http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/17435390.2014.948091
- Bellmann et al 2014 Mammalian gastrointestinal tract parameters modulating the integrity, surface properties and absorption of food relevant nanomaterials https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wnan.1333/full